Case presentation begins with a diagnostic philosophy based on creating lifetime strategies for the patient’s oral health. If dentistry is not diagnosed, it cannot be planned, presented, accepted and most importantly made affordable.
Every patient is entitled to know all that dentistry has to offer them, and have the necessary information provided to allow them to make the best choices for their oral health. Taking the time to properly inform a patient will set the stage to increase your case acceptance.
There are Five Steps to Successful Case Presentation:
- The first step is to know and document the patient’s dental knowledge, their perceived problems/concerns and expectations so you can customize your presentation style.
- The second step is to present the patient’s existing dental conditions based on the results of their complete oral examination in the areas of the health of their gums, their teeth, occlusion, and their smile. Present the findings in a simple format with pictures and in layman terms.
- The third step involves treatment solutions that will help the patient reach their goals and expectations. Be sure to relate your treatment recommendations back to the findings of their examination, one area at a time, while discussing the benefits of treatment. Benefits are “what is in it for them” in relationship to what they want.
- The fourth step is to share the consequences of delaying or declining treatment. Be honest, and keep in mind that scare tactics don’t work.
- The fifth and final step is “closure” or asking for a decision, is often the hardest for dental professionals. Ask what other questions you can answer for them to proceed. Your closure should address any questions or concerns that the patient may have in regards to the clinical aspect of treatment before transferring to the Financial Coordinator.
If you want to learn more, please join us for our Case Presentation Skills Workshop, November 7 & 8, 2019.
All rights reserved. No part of this work may be reproduced in any form, or by any means whatsoever, without written permission from Transitions Consulting Group Inc. If you would like further information about Transitions Group Inc.’s services please telephone 800-345-5157, fax 905-681-1180, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.