DOES YOUR HEALTH CONSCIOUS PATIENT KNOW THAT THEIR MORNING ORANGE JUICE MAY BE WASHING AWAY THEIR ENAMEL?
A recent study concluded that the acid in orange juice is so strong the tooth is literally washed away *1
- Lemon juice, often used to detox, is one of the most acidic juices with a pH of 2.25 *2
- The American Dental Association cites ice as 1 of the top 9 foods that can damage tooth enamel *3
- Even foods positioned as healthy, like applesauce and yogurt can erode enamel *4
- Dehydration, common among athletes, causes the mouth to become dry, reducing salivary flow and increasing the risk of erosion *5
THE RECENT EUROPEAN CONSENSUS DENTISTRY REPORT RECOGNIZES THAT STANNOUS FLUORIDE HELPS SLOW THE PROGRESSION OF EROSIVE TOOTH WEAR *6,*7
Once enamel erosion has begun, lost enamel cannot be re-grown. Fluoride remineralization can only repair weakened spots caused by plaque acid. Your patients may not be willing to give up their dietary habits but you can try a different approach by educating them on the preventative measures they can introduce to their oral care routine.
Recommending the use of stannous fluoride daily, to form an acid-resistant micro-thin stannous shield while the fluoride component rebuilds weakened enamel, will provide additional protection to help prevent enamel loss. With the addition of fluoride, enamel remineralization occurs in an oral cavity pH environment greater than or equal to ~4.5
When you can’t change their diet, change their fluoride
Find out more at: https://www.dentalcare.ca/en-ca
- University of Rochester Medical Center. News Room. Researchers Say OJ Worse for Teeth than Whitening. Accessed: October 2016. Available at: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/2542/
- Reddy A et al. The pH of beverages in the United States. J Am Dent Assoc 2016:147(4):255-63. Accessed: October 2016. Available at: doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2015.10.019.
- American Dental Association. Top 9 Foods That Damage Your Teeth. Accessed: October 2016. Available at: http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/nutrition/food-tips/9-Foods-That-Damage-Your-Teeth
- Almeida A et al. What’s eating your enamel? The connection between diet and enamel erosion. RDH Magazine. Accessed: October 2016. Available at: http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/volume-30/
- Sports Dietitians Australia. Dental Health for Athletes. Australian Dental Association. Why worry about oral health? Accessed: October 2016. Available at: https://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/fuelling-recovery/dental-health-for-athletes/
- Data on file at P&G Canada.
- Carvalho TS et al. Consensus report of the European Federation of Conservative Dentistry: erosive tooth wear–diagnosis and management. Clin Oral Investig 2015:19(7);1557-61. Available at: doi: 10.1007/s00784-015-1511-7.