Our up and coming employees in the work force are Millennials. It is the current executives and leaders (Gen X and Baby Boomers) responsibility to take the time to understand this generation. If we don’t take time to understand what drives them, what makes them want to get up every morning and come into work, we will have a whole lot of very unhappy, underutilized talent roaming the halls of our organizations.
Millennials; Things You Need To Know…
• They have grown up being told they are great; they win without being the best
• They have been handed a lot
• They need instant gratification
• Creating human connection doesn’t come easy
• They have low self-confidence and need reassurance and guidance
• They have lower Service Aptitude than any other generation.
This is not their fault, they are a product of their environment. We need to keep this notion in the forefront of our mind.
• Want to be a part of a great purpose; “what’s in it for me” is a big deal
• Are willing to work hard
• Want a steady flow of income; it’s not about the highest pay
• Are open to guidance and training and want to please their employers
What Is Service Aptitude?
A person’s ability to recognize opportunities to exceed a Customer’s expectations, regardless of the circumstances.
How Do You Play A Part In Developing Their Service Aptitude?
This is where you as a leader come in. Our future workforce is a blank canvas with little life experience and little to no work experience, leaving you to put the Service Aptitude of your organization into them with the training, guidance, and care you give them.
We believe it is NOT the employee’s responsibility to have high service aptitude; it is part of your dental practice management process to give it to them. Remembering this and adjusting your training processes to reflect their needs will go a long way.
What’s In It For You And Your Dental Practice?
Millennials crave a purpose, they want to please and do well, they are creative and will work hard for those leaders and organizations they believe in. By filling your practice with forward thinking, motivated millennials and instilling your Service Aptitude in them, you will experience a shift in how your Customers are treated (internally and externally). You will create the future experiences your patients receive by investing in this generation as a whole.
Your entire team can learn service aptitude with our Ultimate Patient Experience workshop on September 7 & 8, 2017
TGNA’s guest writer is
Katie Mares, Leadership & Customer Experience Consultant